This is the material for the 2018 class in Hydraulic constructions at University of Trento. The material, is being revised during the class and is similar to the last year class. A first difference is that slides will be loaded into an Open Science Framework (OSF) repository. More information in the Introductory class below. The name is hydraulic construction. Actually it covers the hydraulic design of a storm water management system and the hydraulic design of an Aqueduct. With hydraulic design, I mean that the class teach how to calculate the hydraulics of infrastructure. It will not teach anything else and neither will cover how to really draw them to produce a final executive project. These knowledges are communicated in the class called "Progetto di Costruzioni Idrauliche".
T - Is a classrom lecture
L - Is a laboratory lecture
Storm water management systems
- Introductory Class. (YouTube 2018. Unfortunately non very visible)
- New goals for Urban hydrology. (YouTube 2018. Unfortunately non very visible)
- The sewage systems devices (YouTube 2018. Unfortunately non very visible)
- Local control on the hydrological cycle (YouTube 2018. unfortunately non very visible)
- The law of public works
- The past and the future
- 2018-03-01 - L - Introduction to Python with Jupyter (We mostly use the three notebook below):
- 2018-03-05 - T -
- A little of Statistics and Probability.
- Descriptive Statistics
- Statistics' statistics
- Further readings on Statistics (see also here)
- Probability's Axioms
- Further readings on Probability
- YouTube videos 2018
- 2018-03-08 - L -Explorative data analysis and Simple statistics with Python's Pandas
- Gaussian Distribution
- Central Limit Theorem Illustrated (and some other distributions)
- Gamma Distribution (and some other further Python)
- 2018-03-12 - T - Statistical properties of Extreme precipitations and their interpolation.
- Intensity duration frequency curves
- Gumbel distribution functions
- Moments method
- Maximum likelihood method
- Minimum squares method
- The YouTube video of the class 2018.
- Further readings ( see the Precipitations' post)
- 2018-03-15 - L - Estimation of Extremes with Python
- Exercise: Using the examples of the last Lab, draw a Gumbel distribution.
- Exercise: Select randomly from a Gumbel distribution and empirically shows the effects of the central limit theorem.
- For estimating the Gumbel distribution parameters:
- The YouTube video of the class 2018.
- 2018-03-19 - T - Element for the design of storm water management infrastructures- I.
- The storm water drainage network (SWDN)
- Urban cases
- The estimation of the flood wave (the IUH case) and the Hydraulic design of the SWDN
- YouTube Videos
- 2018-03-22 - L - Estimation of Extremes with Python - II
- 2018-03-26 - T - Elements for the design of storm water infrastructures
- 2018-04-5 - L Short introduction to QGIS for representing urban infrastructures.
- Further Video classes on QGIS/GISWATER
- Create subcatchments
- Homogenize the subcatchment layer and insert it in the database
- Geometric information subcatchments
- Average Slope
- Simp, Routeto
- 2018-04-09 - T- Pumping stormwaters.
- 2018-04-12 -L Working with SWMM for implementing a storm water management system
- 2018-04-16 - T - Pipes (slides from Roberto Magini) and infrastructures
- 2018-04-19 - L - Simple estimation of the maximum discharge via Python
- Maximum Discharge from a linear reservoir model
- Internal diameter of the pipe
- Summing discharges from pipes (I)
- Summing discharges from pipes (II)
- 2018-04-24 - Midterm written exam
- Question to be answered. Students will be required to answer to two (2) questions randomly chosen and (3) produce e code snippet in Python to perform the task required.
As a general, simple and descriptive reference, the first six chapters of Maurizio Leopardi's book can be useful :
- Utilizzo Idropotabile
- Il trasporto in pressione
- Dimensionamento idraulico delle condotte
- Acquedotto con sollevamento meccanico
- Reti di distribuzione
The state of the water supply in Italy is summarised here (Corriere della Sera, 2018-05-16)
- 2018-05-3 L - SWMM and Python problem solving
- 2018-05-7 T - Aqueducts
- Aqueducts in 2020 (YouTube)
- Equations for aqueducts networks (YouTube)
- Mass and energy Conservation (YouTube)
- 2018-05-101 L - Working with SWMM and PYTHON
- 2018-05-14 T - Design of aqueducts networks
- 2018-05-17 L - Introduction to EPANET
- 2018-05-21 T - External aqueducts & Reservoirs
- External aqueducts (YouTube)
- Reservoirs (YouTube)
- Contemporary problems in aqueduct's network management
- 2018-05-24 L - A simple aqueduct configuration with EPANET
- 2018-05-28 - T - Water Sources
- Springs (YouTube)
- Excavations (optional)
- Surface Waters
- 2018-05-31 - L - Working with EPANET to design an aqueduct
- 2018-06-04 T - Houses' infrastructures
- 2018-06- 11 L - Problem solving with EPANET
During the class I will introduce sever tools for calculations.
- Open Science Framework (OSF): It is a tool for sharing a workflow, especially design for scientific purposes. It allows storage of files and documents and their selective publication on the web.
- Python - Python is a modern programming languages. It will be used for data treatment, estimation of the idf curves of precipitation, some hydraulic calculation and data visualisation. I will use Python mostly as a scripting language to bind and using existing tools.
- SWMM - Is an acronym for Storm Water Management System. Essentially it is a model for the estimation of runoff adjusted to Urban environment. I do not endorse very much its hydrology. However, it is the most used tools by colleagues who cares about storm water management, and I adopt it. It is not a tool for designing storm water networks, and therefore, some more work should be done with Python to fill the gaps.
- EPANET Is the tool developed by EPA to estimate water distribution networks.
- GISWATER: http://growworkinghard.altervista.org/giswater-11-install-windows/
- QGIS: http://growworkinghard.altervista.org/qgis-2-18-how-to-install-step-by-step-on-windows/
Questions for the midterm exam
Domande della prova intermedia 2017.
Grades (voti) of the intermediate exam.